Sunday, December 28, 2008

Super Good Corn Bread





I like to think of myself as a Vintage Foodist. This means that I eat only vintage foods; like if I was living on the prairie out west in 1850 or traveling in a covered wagon. No, I have so far not sampled squirrel, possum or bear. I'm thinkin' more like corn bread, beans, vegetables, and the occasional chicken. Of course, on my prairie, there happened to be the very first Trader Joe's, so I have added soy milk and boxed chicken broth (among other things) to my vintage foods.
What was NOT available was refined sugar, processed foods, aspertame, cows, and other things.
So, here I am going to share with you a Vintage Food invention by me; super duper yummy high protein sugar free cornbread. Here we go.

Corn Bread (suitable for the gluten intolerant)
1 cup Quaker Yellow Corn Meal (supermarket)
1/2 cup Fern Soy Powder (this is NOT soy flour, which I have been told can have an icky taste. It is soy powder and it comes in a canister; see image above. It's in the health food store.)
1/2 cup any flour: millet, barley, rice, etc. BUT NOT BUCKWHEAT. thank you.
1/2 heaping teaspoon stevia powder (any health food store)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup soy milk
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 heaping tablespoon plain yogurt(impt for moisture)

Preheat the oven to 400. If you have a large cast iron skillet put it in the oven to heat up. Then when you put the batter in the hot skillet you'll get a nice golden brown crust. JUST LIKE ON THE PRAIRIE!!
Mix the dry stuff in one bowl and the wet stuff in the other. Put the frozen corn in with the butter while you are melting it. Then mix it all together.
Pour some olive oil into your heated skillet and mix it around, or grease your bread pan. Spatula in your batter and bake about 20 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This cornbread has the advantages of having no sugar, high protein (egg and soy powder) the texture of actual corn, and is gluten free.

If you are lucky enough to be able to eat cheddar cheese, that would be great with this. Or just with soymilk. I put extra butter and salt on it.

So instead of saying you have food allergies, or sensitivities, or intolerance's, or celiac or whatever, you can just say, "I'm a Vintage Foodist". Thank you Beth.


No comments: