Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ode To E-Z Pass


I love E-Z pass. Many of you remember, like I do, waiting for minutes, or sometimes hours at bridge and tunnel tolls in NYC, gathering dollar bills or the correct change to pass through the toll. Now, when I approach the Whitestone bridge on my way to Long Island, I just sail right through the toll! No waiting! No worrying about quarters! So, after my last pass, I was so overwhelmed with love and gratitude I wrote two poems, below.
Ode #1

Oh you
with your slight orange arm
light
lifting up for me gently
after my slow approach
you
never asking for money
only blinking
encouragingly
your red eye turning green
You
allowing me in just an instant
to pass over the threshold
that before took hours
saving
the search for dollars
quarters in the seat
reducing my carbon footprint
to a child's 4
You
Oh E-Z pass
It's you.

Ode #2

From a distance
I can see
you beckon, with your light so green;
the x that signals that you can
welcome my large minivan
So to your doorway
I slowly go
And hardly waiting
for a moment
Lo
You wink
And in an instant I seem
transported as if in a dream;
From one location to another
shifted
then we quickly part each other
Without consulting coin or wallet
I glide gracefully
with empty pockets
Oh E-Z pass
It's so thrilling
That we are finally done with dollar billing.



No comments: